Tuesday, January 31, 2017

New Year, New Experiences

I know I say this practically every month, but I don't understand how this month went by so quickly. It seems like we just returned from Christmas break. I did well academically last semester, but hope to do even better in the upcoming semester. Some friends have told me about an app called Anki, which allows you to make and study flashcards. I've used it for the first block exam of the semester and ended up doing very well so I'm definitely going to continue to use it.

We've gone through our CNS/Neurology block and are currently in our Psychopharmacology block. For the CNS/Neurology block, we participated in a SIM exercise without the medical students. It was a really cool experience, and I liked that it was just us because we were more willing to participate. We have our Psychopharmacology block exam this coming Monday. Today, a patient suffering from mental illness came to our Med Pharm class and spoke to us openly about her experiences. Listening to her story was incredibly inspiring and I'm so appreciative that we were able to learn from it.

I've presented for both our Advances in Pharmacology course as well as our Endocrine Pharmacology course. Both presentations went very well and I'm definitely becoming more comfortable with speaking in front of the class.

In terms of service, I am currently working with a new non-profit here in town called the Residency Awareness Resource Empowerment Foundation (RARE). The mission of this organization is to reduce the incidence and minimize the impact of domestic and sexual abuse in New Orleans by directing victims to appropriate, effective programs and services. I am in the process of designing a website for this organization, and look forward to helping as much as I can. I haven't been able to help out at Sci High this month because of my involvement with RARE, but I definitely plan on returning in February.

Total hours completed: 6 hours

No comments:

Post a Comment